Tuesday, October 11, 2011

In Spain, Michael Scott is Available to Assist You

I don't know if you're noticed this, but there is quite a lot of advertising on the Internet ─ and not all of it is up to snuff.

You know those ads, the ones that use stock photos that don't even make sense? Like, there's a blonde woman covered in tattoos with some copy that reads: "Refinance your mortgage now!" And you're sitting there scratching your head, like, I don't want to be judgmental, but I'm pretty sure the woman in that picture doesn't even know what a mortgage is?

Yeah, like that.

I bring this up because I was taking a few minutes before my lunch break to google things to do in Spain, as I will be there in mid-November. (Yes, I am rewarding myself for hording all my vacation days by hitting up España with Blonde Beyoncé, whom you might remember from my days as an extremely poor homeless shelter employee.)

I found a website called Discover Sevilla, which seemed promising. That is, until I spotted the most amazing advertising fail in the history of the Internet:


Photobucket

[Oh goody, Michael Scott is available for Live Chat!]

Wait.

WHAT?!

After I stopped laughing hysterically in my cubicle, I came up with a theory. Some poor slob in a basement office in Girona, Spain, was probably given the task of finding an image to convey "professional office staffer" to any baffled users who needed live assistance (for what, I don't know, the ad didn't really say).

Like any underling worth his salt, he decided to google the word "office" and steal any relevant copyrighted images.

Sadly, our poor Spanish friend isn't really up on popular culture. So instead of conveying professionalism and experience, he let all Discover Sevilla users know to expect this:

I fucking love the Internet.

P.S. I decided to share this awesomeness with The Boyfriend prior to posting. Somehow, I'm not really sure if he got it and was trying to fuck with me, or if he really just tunes out all my insanity and tries to respond appropriately without actually listening to what I'm saying:

Me: You know those ads on websites that have horrible stock photos that don't make sense?

The Boyfriend
: Yes, all the time. [Wait, what?]

Me:
Well, I'm about to email you the BEST ONE EVER.

The Boyfriend: Okay.

[Conversation pauses while he waits for the email.]

The Boyfriend: Hehe. You're saying that Steve Carell does answer the phone?

Me:
....What?!

You guys, I really have no idea.

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! I laughed so much when I read this! My housemate looked at me and was like "you are having way too much fun." Go you for posting again to appreciahating. I don't think the boyfriend got it at all. Poor boyfriend. I think pop culture may be even more beyond him than it is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete